Christopher J. Hoctor
Richmond, VA 23219
(804) 421-6251 (fax)
Chris’ practice focuses on commercial real estate, finance, bankruptcy, corporate law and litigation. Chris’ experience has ranged from acting as in-house counsel, litigating on behalf of Fortune 250 companies and negotiating multi-million dollar real estate deals, to advising small business owners and individuals on corporate development, credit counseling and wealth management. Chris holds an MBA from the Auburn University Harbert College of Business.
Chris assists clients who seek to acquire, lease and dispose of various types of commercial real estate including, multi-family, office, medical office, industrial and retail assets. He regularly provides mechanic’s lien, environmental, litigation and Section 1031 “like-kind” exchange legal advice to regional and national banking clients. Chris also often represents contractors and other construction professionals in mechanic’s lien filings, collection efforts and breach of contract actions before state and federal courts in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Chris had the honor of serving as the federal judicial law clerk to the Honorable Robert G. Mayer, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Alexandria Division. Preceding his judicial clerkship, Chris was a Senior Representative at First North American National Bank, a division of Circuit City, Inc. in Richmond, Virginia, where he provided legal advice to various business teams and pursued the bank’s rights as a creditor.
Chris is admitted to practice before the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and all state courts in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Chris has also practiced before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
Although Chris works on commercial real estate deals throughout the country as part of his national legal practice, he also enjoys keeping a pulse on the commercial real estate market in Central Virginia. During the last downturn, a local NBC news station interviewed Chris to obtain his opinion on the commercial market from an attorney’s viewpoint.
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law, J.D., 2000
- 2000 Virginia Trial Lawyer Association – University of Richmond Trial Competition Winner (one of six)
- 2000 American Association for Justice Trial Competition, Regional Competitor (representing University of Richmond)
- 1998 Negotiation Competition, Semi-Finalist
- Client Counseling/Negotiation Board, Vice-President
- Richmond Journal of Law and Public Interest, Associate Editor
- Auburn University Harbert College of Business, M.B.A., 2021
- College of William and Mary, B.A., Government, 1995
- Cambridge University, Emmanuel College, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- 1998 Summer Program in International Law through the University of Richmond School of Law
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law, J.D., 2000
- Commonwealth of Virginia, 2000
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar
- ADISA (Alternative & Direct Investment Securities Association)
- Lexology and International Law Office Client Choice Award (General Corporate: Exclusive Virginia recipient in category), 2018
- Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2008 (Corporate Law), 2011-2013 (Real Estate)
- Cali Award Winner, Excellence in the Study of Bankruptcy Law (highest grade), 2000
- Served as lead outside securities counsel on $330MM Opportunity Zone Fund.
- Served as lead outside financing counsel on $259MM REIT portfolio refinance with CMBS lender.
- Served as lead real estate counsel in $200MM REIT initial public offering of U.S. government-leased properties.
- Served as lead outside securities counsel on four UPREIT offerings for publically registered non-traded REITs.
- Advised clients on hundreds of private securities offerings, utilizing Regulation D (pursuant to both Rule 506(b) and Rule 506(c), Regulation A and FAST Act Section 4(a)(7).
- Provided outside counsel on hundreds of millions of dollars of medical office building acquisitions for publically registered non-traded REITs.
- Served as lead outside securities counsel on dozens of private fund offerings.
- Conducted or participated in hundreds of Delaware Statutory Trust (DST) and Tenancy in Common (TIC) securities offerings.
- Represented Special Committee to REIT Board of Directors in merger discussions.
- Served as lead counsel to numerous businesses in the purchase or sale of corporate assets.
- Served as qualified intermediary on numerous 1031 deferred “like-kind” exchanges, reverse “like-kind” exchanges, and build-to-suit “like-kind” exchanges; exchanges.
- Provided bankruptcy and real estate legal services to more than a thousand investors in proceedings before the Delaware bankruptcy court and negotiations with loan special servicers.
- Represented creditors and other interested parties in numerous bankruptcy preference defense actions, adversary proceedings and motions, including representations in Enron, DBSI, LandAmerica Title, Circuit City Stores, Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Patriot Coal, Alpha Natural Resources and Toys “R” Us bankruptcies.
- Guest Lecturer at Virginia Commonwealth University, Course: FIRE 325 – Real Estate Law (Spring, 2016 and Spring, 2017)
- Guest Lecturer at Virginia Commonwealth University, Course: FIRE 638 – Real Property Investment Law (Fall, 2016)
- “The Perfect Storm: When Divorce, Real Estate and Bankruptcy Collide.” Guest Panelist on Commercial Real Estate/Bankruptcy – Richmond Bar Association Real Estate CLE (February, 2011)
- “Tenant In Common Structures and Section 1031.” Guest Panelist/Moderator at International Council of Shopping Centers Midwest Regional, Columbus, OH (February, 2006)
- “Using Section 1031 to Make More Money.” Presentation to Hometown Realty (Fall, 2005)
- “Advanced Like Kind Real Estate Exchanges.” Guest Panelist for Lorman Education Services in Arlington, VA (Fall, 2005)
- President, Lake Patrick Henry Owner’s Association Board of Directors (2018 – present)
- Board of Trustees – Bon Air United Methodist Church (2018 – present)
- Vice Chairman/School Board for The Bon View School (2017 – present)
- Former Board Member of the Riverdowns Homeowner’s Association (2006 – 2012)
- Delta Phi (Omega Alpha Chapter)