Joseph J. McQuade
Richmond, VA 23219
(804) 421-6251 (fax)
Joe advises on all aspects of private securities offerings, with a particular emphasis on Opportunity Zone investments and 1031 investments such as syndications of beneficial interests in a Delaware statutory trust (“DST”) or undivided tenancy in common (“TIC”) interests. In addition, Joe has a wealth of experience with acquisition, disposition, and financing of commercial real estate. He has handled transactions involving real estate valued in excess of $15 billion, including a multi-family complex in Tampa, which was the largest DST transaction in U.S. history at the time and an office tower in Chicago which was the largest syndicated TIC acquisition in U.S. history at the time.
Joe has served as an expert witness in litigation related to the restructuring of master leases for TIC and DST assets, and has been a speaker on such topics as Opportunity Zone investment strategies, the structuring of UPREIT transactions, and the challenges of transitioning management responsibility for TIC owned assets.
- Private securities offering and negotiation of a construction loan for a ground-up development of an upscale hotel in Tempe, Arizona valued at $115 million.
- Ground lease negotiations and acquisition of a Boston medical office portfolio, with value in excess of $115 million
- Offering documents for a $50 million Opportunity Zone offering for the acquisition of properties in multiple jurisdictions.
- Sale of a $175 million office building portfolio in San Diego for a public non-traded REIT
- Private securities offering for DST interests in a $45 million multi-family complex in Alabama.
- Acquisition of $65 million hotel in Minneapolis, together with associated assets and franchise rights
- Negotiation of a private equity fund’s sale of a $135 million office tower in Chicago
- Extensive analyses of payment-in-lieu-of-taxes structures in multiple jurisdictions for the acquisition of a medical office building portfolio for a prominent public non-traded REIT
- Negotiation of a complex ownership restructuring and loan document modification with a CMBS special servicer and an outside equity provider for a troubled multifamily project in Dallas
- Washington and Lee University, J.D. magna cum laude
- Brigham Young University, B.S. magna cum laude, Business Management, emphasis Finance